How did the readings influence your perception of your own clinical decision-making?
The readings for this module definitely made me think about the way that I make decisions, especially the power point slides that Dr. Sward put together. In the power point presentation, Dr. Sward cites Patricia Benner and her five different levels of experience in nursing; novice through expert. Reading about these different levels made me ponder what level I am at personally and how that affects the kind of decisions I make.
I did find it interesting, however, that in Benners levels of experience the lowest level, novice, is said to strictly follow rules, while the highest level, expert, is said to follow intuition. The video that we watched of Daniel Kahneman alternatively said that intuition is often wrong, and that certain computer prediction models often perform better than so-called experts because they use simple, linear logic and stick to the rules every time.
One thing is for sure, and that is that I feel these clinical decision support systems can be very valuable in practice, and greatly assist health care personnel in making the best decisions to help their patients.
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This was a very thought provoking module, wasn't it? I appreciated how you reviewed the novice, and the intuition of the advanced expert. I am still contemplating what my own biases are related to heuristics and my practice. And then when we graduate, we shall once again be novices, building on our experience and knowledge and intuition, and of course biases. Well, knowing is half of the solution.
ReplyDelete